Egypt's FJP calls for million man march Friday to press for May presidential elections

News article, posted 05.03.2012, from Egypt, in:
Egypt's FJP calls for million man march Friday to press for May presidential elections (Photo: AP)

In response to violent clashes that erupted Wednesday morning in front of the Ministry of Defence in Abassiya, leaving at least 11 dead, political parties are demanding that the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) abide by its commitment to hold presidential elections on time in late May.

In a press conference, the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party (FJP) and the Salafist Nour Party, which together hold the largest number of seats in Parliament, agreed with several other parties to keep pressuring the ruling military council to transfer power to a civil authority as soon as possible.

"Parliament will discuss the Abassiya clashes today," said senior FJP figure and MP Essam El-Erian.

FJP MP and People's Assembly Speaker Saad El-Katatni had announced the suspension of parliamentary activities Sunday until 6 May to protest the refusal of the Kamal El-Ganzouri government to resign despite demands by the parliamentary majority. According to El-Erian, parliament will break the announced suspension.

El-Erian said that the FJP, joined by other political forces, will be calling for a "massive" million man protest Friday in response to the latest violence in Abassiya, where Islamist supporters of disqualified presidential candidate Hazem Abu-Ismail had been staging a sit-in, as well as to underline that presidential elections must proceed as scheduled.

...

[Excerpt—See accompanying URL for full original text]